- It all starts at the front door. Replace your front door with a new steel entry door for a fresh look at your entry point. Your ROI on this easy improvement is nearly 70 percent.
- Increase the value of your home with a bathroom addition. According to realtor.com, adding an extra bathroom will bring more buyers to your door if you’re in the market to sell. Adding another bathroom may also make your home more comfortable for your family.
- Restore luster to your hardwood floors. Nothing compares to the versatility of hardwood floors. Has your hardwood lost its glow? Dirt and grime can build up over time giving it a dull, worn look. Renewing it to its original warmth and beauty is a great home improvement goal. HGTV offers some great suggestions for refinishing hardwood floors.
- Paint to add warmth to a room. A fresh coat of paint can provide a much-needed facelift and warmth to any room. Valspar’s soft paint color collection including Crisp Linen, Ballet Slippers, and Goodnight Kiss, can cozy up any room. Sherwin Williams offers a warm neutral paint collection with earthy undertones.
- Reinvent existing space in your home. Maximize the space at your disposal by converting an unused attic to an extra bedroom. Finishing a basement will also add extra living space, making your home more comfortable.
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances. Upgrading aging appliances with newer, more energy-efficient models, can save money and help the environment.
- Freshen up your kitchen with a backsplash. A tile backsplash can become a focal point in your kitchen. From metallic or stone look tiles to big bold colors and neutrals, anything goes. Designer shapes are also trending this year.
- Invest in new kitchen countertops. Dingy countertops can be a sign of a dated house. Just like a backsplash, they are visually prominent. Quartz, granite, marble, and laminate are all options, depending on your budget.
- Warm-up a room with cozy lighting. Lighting can do wonders for ambiance. It can brighten up a bathroom, make a bedroom more relaxing and add style to your kitchen.
- Install a programmable thermostat. It’s a quick upgrade that can be programmed to turn your heating or cooling system on or off at specific times throughout the day and night.
- Invest in Closet Organizers. Cleaning up the clutter should be on every home improvement list this year. Maximize your storage space with fitted closet organizers.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows. Lower your energy bills and be friendlier to the environment with this improvement that will benefit you well into the future.
- Make a statement by upgrading your fireplace. Add a striking mantle, transform from old brick to beautiful stone, or incorporate a splash of color.
- Update an older bathroom. Another improvement reaping a good return on investment is a bathroom remodel. Don’t go overboard for a better return.
- Remodel your laundry room. Millennials are going all out with laundry remodels. This includes designer cabinetry, fashion countertops, shelving, and storage. Some laundries are even being remodeled into dual space areas for both laundry and pets, complete with pet bath areas.
- Add a deck or patio. Outdoor living spaces continue to grow in popularity for those enjoying more time at home. Outdoor space is worth the investment.
- Bring your meals outdoors. If you’re big on outdoor entertaining, you will get years of enjoyment from the addition of an outdoor kitchen. It will be a great asset that can add value to your home.
- Improve curb appeal with flower boxes. Brighten the exterior of your home by installing window flower boxes or baskets. They’re sure to catch the eye of anyone passing by.
- Light the way at night. Landscaping lights, pathway lights, deck, and patio lights can provide beautiful illumination to your outdoor spaces.
- Take cover outdoors with a pergola. A perfect shelter from the elements in your outdoor space. It is a beautiful addition to a patio or yard.
- Build a garden path. Curb appeal is never a bad investment. Stone walkways or pavers can be beautiful, as well as useful.
Home Equity Loans and HELOCs
Now that you have some home improvement ideas, you’re probably wondering how to make those dreams become a reality. A Home Equity Loan or Ultimate Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) from Benchmark Federal Credit Union can help accomplish your goals. From competitive interest rates to flexible terms, we provide members with the loan benefits they need.
Read more about home remodel in our blog “Ultimate Guide to Saving on a Home Remodel.”